Wednesday, January 28, 2009

IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE

1. I traded a redwood seedling for this grassy friend from the SoEx gift
exchange in December.


2. I felt awkward about the exchange because I knew in advance that I was picking the redwood seedling that John had brought to the holiday party.

3. I let the new grassy friend hang out too long without companionship and care.

4. Grassy friend is no longer green and has been buried under new soil.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

DESIGN RESCUE










Ok, so I thought I would try my hand at some design. Well actually - design b
y default. I planted various clippings that had fallen off of some of my plants today. They have been sitting in a jar of water growing roots for about 6 months. They seemed happy together so I took the whole root ball and planted it along with a couple of other rescues - including the Echeveria from the sidewalk. I am not sure how well the Purple Passion Plant (Passiflora incarnata), Amber Waves Ivy (Hedera helix), Echeveria crenulata, Echeveria elegans, Flower Dust Plant (Kalanchoe pumila), and Aeonium will fair through the rest of the winter but I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

DOWN THE STREET RESCUE

Fellow blogger Tilthy Rich called upon me to rescue his Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta). He just about put it in his thriving compost! I was happy to take it into care and the Palm was surprised by how close it would be moving to its new home - about a block and a half down Bryant St.

The Palm will create a certain challenge and I hope that I can live up to the task. I might have to reach out to the experts, but will do my best. The Palm could have reached the point of no return but perhaps there is still time.
First, I will remove the Palm from the moist soil and inspect the roots. Perhaps I can remove the rot if any and create a more easily draining soil for the Palm to go back to once there are signs of rebirth.

To be continued....


Thursday, January 15, 2009

OFFICE RESCUE

This String-of-Beads (senecio rowleyanus) is in need of some tender care. It has been a victim of an attack of the mealy bugs!! I took off some of the more healthy strands and submerged them in cold water. After soaking in alcohol and allowing to root for a couple of weeks this beauty should be able to begin start a new bug free life.